Making the decision to adopt a child is an exciting time for your family, but the adoption process can be tricky without the guidance of an experienced attorney. It is important to retain qualified legal counsel to guide you through the adoption process to ensure that all aspects of the adoption run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. An attorney can also help you stay informed throughout the entire process so that you can avoid costly and time-consuming setbacks.
Here’s why you should work with an attorney throughout the adoption process:
- The adoption process can be confusing, especially if you aren’t sure where to begin. An attorney can point you in the right direction by referring you to potential adoption agencies, helping you get all the necessary paperwork in order, and providing you with advice and support.
- Adoption is an expensive and lengthy process. When you have an attorney, you can stay informed of all the facts surrounding your situation so that you are better prepared for the road ahead.
- There are numerous legal guidelines surrounding adoption that can be confusing. If you are unfamiliar with adoption laws or even the different types of adoption available (such as private adoption, agency adoption, or foreign adoption), it is a good idea to retain a lawyer who can ensure that you meet the necessary legal requirements.
- You will need to complete a home study before an adoption can be finalized. An attorney can ensure that your affairs are in order so that you can prove to the adoption agency that you have what it takes to provide the child with a loving and stable home.
- You will need to file a petition with the court to begin the adoption process, which must then be followed by a court hearing. You can enlist the help of a family law attorney to assist you with the necessary paperwork and to represent you during the hearing.
If you would like more information on the adoption process and how the Law Office of Joseph Cerino can help, give us a call today.